Friday, April 9, 2010

Save Gas and Get Exercise - Put an engine on the bike!

Lets face it: Gas is too damn expensive. When gas hit $ 4.00 a gallon in my town, I decided it was time I did something. No, I could not bring the price of gas down, at least not directly. However, only one thing I could do, the decline in demand through the use was not so much of it. I thought, "I would be much more fuel efficient way to find your city." I decided I wanted a Vespa!

But after a quick check of the price I did not want a Vespa. At least not if I wantedto pay a few thousand dollars for them. New plan. It was time to break my old bike. I started running for my very short journeys. However, I forgot how hard work by bicycle, especially when hills involved. Do not get me wrong, I like to ride my bike but I just wish I could be a bit 'easier on the legs, and so allows me to travel longer distances. This is when I put the idea on a small motor bike. Do not want to make a motorcycle oranything, but just to give me a bit 'more power and speed to make it easier to use my bicycle as a daily commuting vehicle.

I did some research on the internet for methods and kit to be done to equip the bikes with small engines. A company called Golden Eagle Bike Engines seems to be the best of the best. Order the Cadillac bicycle motor. But to buy their kit will run between $ 500 and $ 700 without the bike. This is still outside my budget. But hey, if you canGeBE afford a kit is the way to go. Currently have pending orders for the kit, the strong demand, the company (I believe that everyone can take had the same idea, but more money than me), but are still orders of spare parts. I ordered three separate parts, as if I were replacing my kit. They never asked what I needed, with three shares random, and I never said. For someone like me, with a slightly smaller budget, but still a lot of technicalKnow-how, this is definitely the way to go. Here's what I plan: I bought from her side, only the parts of the kit, I can not. These parts are:

1st Drive Ring

2nd fan belt

3rd Pinion

Everything else can be done alone. These parts together cost me $ 108 with shipping. Also, I had to get a motor. If you or someone you know has a thread old lawnmowers, leaf blowers, chain saws and other garden tools with a horizontalCrankshaft, try this. But I need my string trimmer for the lawn, so I went to Lowes and picked up a Troy Bilt 25 cc string trimmer for $ 100 (I also sold well on the left, after I remove the engine on eBay for some payback time ). Just make sure to use the engine has a centrifugal clutch. If unsure, try to turn the end of the string trimmer. If it turns freely and you hear, turn the engine has a pair.

Now IAll I need (plus some parts around in the garage) on this engine for my bike to add. Total estimated cost: $ 208 dollars. Estimated mileage: 200 mpg (based on estimates mpg GEBE Kit).

I'm going to work on this project over the next few days. I want to upgrade my steps on the road along, so that everyone can follow, and pictures as I go. Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment